Blog

Large Frame Saw - Part 3


Framesaw40

This time I will be completing the frame saw. First I turned my attention to the scrolls. They were left roughly finished in the last instalment, so that was remedied first. I did some final cuts with my small carving tools, using a rounded gouge to clean up the inside of the scrolls. On the outside of the scrolls I used an out channel gouge and a straight chisel where needed. I also scraped the surface of the handles to remove any marks that were left from the construction process. All areas were then sanded down to 220 grit. Above is a photo of an arm before any cleanup (right) and one after sanding (left).  

Framesaw41
Framesaw42

After the arms and stretchers were sanded, it was time to prepare the surface for finish. I removed any dust with a microfibre cloth (parts after dust removal, above). I find these work great for removing dust from the surface, without spreading dust into the air or elsewhere. I then applied my first coat of Tried and True Varnish Oil. I rubbed it in with a cloth, let it sit for an hour, then it was rubbed with a clean cloth to remove any excess oil. Be careful when working with oil soaked rags because they can, if improperly disposed of, spontaneously combust. I let the wood sit for a few days to dry then sanded with 320 grit, and repeated the oil coats and sanding process, sanding with 600 grit and giving it a final coat of oil (finished, right). This makes for a very nice smooth surface to work with.

Framesaw43Framesaw44

Once the final coat was dry, the surface was rubbed with ultra fine steel wool, and given a coating of wax. I wanted a darker wax than what I had, to fill in the grain. To accomplish this I simply mixed some pigments into some paste wax (above). I used a mix of burnt umber and iron oxide black dry pigments added to some Blue Label Paste Wax I had around. Once this mix was ready, I applied it to the surface, rubbing it into the grain, then let it harden a bit. I then rubbed the surface with a clean cloth, leaving behind some pigment in the grain (right). 


Framesaw46
Framesaw45

Preparing the hardware was next. The hardware was purchased from Artisan Iron Designs and the saw plate from Blackburn Tools (above, all hardware). The hardware was nice overall,  except it came with modern plated phillips screws. I hate plated screws anywhere that I will see. I did not happen to have any unplaced standard screws, so I decided to use the supplied screws for now. But first I scuffed them up a bit and applied gun blueing to the tops of the screws. You may need to apply a few coats to get the full effect (above). The saw plate was purchased unsharpened, as I can sharpen my own. Plus if you have never sharpened, this is an easier one to start on, the teeth are huge and you can really see them well. 

Framesaw47

Now it was time to assemble the saw. I first installed the blade mounting hardware on the handles (left), then assembled the handles onto the stretchers. Once everything was seated it was time to install the saw plate. This being a western saw, it cuts on the push stroke. Below are a few pics of the completed saw. 

Framesaw48
Framesaw49
Framesaw50


Well, I hope everyone has a Happy New Year! Around this site in the next while I plan on finishing the Foley Automatic Saw Filer area of the site next, and I will be starting postings on my workbench project soon. I have started prepping stock for the bench, and it will prove to be quite an extensive project, but will be one strong bench. I will also be having a few small projects on the go as well, and as well some new ideas for the site that will hopefully come together this year. Thanks to my readers, stay tuned for more.


© Shane Larson 2017