Silver Mfg. #22 Post Drill Press

IMG 0045.jpg

Here is my vintage Silver Mfg Co. #22 hand crank drill press. I purchased this item from a local Hutterite colony in Manitoba. They were selling it for a friend who was ill. I have always had a fascination with human powered tools and figured this would work great in my hand tool only workshop, for wood and metal working. Plus, it will look bad ass! It will be undergoing a full disassembly and cleaning, any issues will be repaired, as well as painting. The body and any areas that are to be black are will be painted with my asphultum paint. The gears are going to be painted with a homemade oil based red paint that I will be making. 

The drill press was in working condition when I picked it up, but was in desperate need of a cleaning. It had a few areas that needed my attention. It was in complete condition with the exception that it was missing the table for the drill press. Also, one of the bolts for the chuck was broken off and someone did a poor job of drilling it out and tapping it, so I will have to have that repaired as well as one of the ears for the mounts had a chip missing. 

SS850142

The lower mount. This chip will require some welding to repair.






First I decided to look for a table and was fortunate enough that the morning after I bought the drill press, a partial drill press came on  Kijiji for a low price. It ended up working perfectly with the drill, and I ended up with a few extra parts I might want in the future. 

Next I put my attention to cleaning and disassembly. Some of the parts came apart easily, others not so well. For the parts that were stuck I used mineral oil or liquid wrench. Most of that went with ease, after which I cleaned it with Castrol Super Clean. I find it to be an amazing cleaning product, but it usually removes paint as well. (Which, if you’re planning on repainting it saves you some work!) Afterwards, I labelled and placed parts in zipper bags.


Silver22#2
silver22#1


Left, a stubborn bolt getting a soaking. Right, The pinion gear was really caked on with grease. 

Silver22#5.jpg


After all the parts were disassembled, I took the main shaft out to a local machine shop to get the broken off bolt drilled out and tapped. They had to drill both holes out and tap them to one size larger.



Now, all the parts are ready for the next step in my process,  electrolysis. This is where I will take care of any rust that has formed and prevent future rust from forming. Ive used it on several projects in the past and have had great results. The size of the drill press will be pushing the limits of my set up but I am confident that it will turn out well.

                                                             Home


© Shane Larson 2017